Friday, September 24, 2010

'59 Bonnie Head Fin Repair

Here is a '59 Bonneville head that was improperly packaged for shipping and had all of the fins on the right side broken off. So, we had Patrick Day, our welder go through and meticulously weld back into place.

Just a little more touch up on the bottom fin.

As you can see, the head is now good as new.

"Smile for the camera Pat."

51 Speed Twin Restoration

It RUNS...

It's a little smokey but we'll see what happens after a little more break in. Now we have a ton of changes to make to the rest of the bike, to make it correct for 1951.

Japanhead Update

Japanhead has been going strong, it has been ridden pretty regularly to really shake out any issues a 53 pan chopper can generate. But, since the oil bag situation is actually supposed to be temporary we thought it would be cool to install an oil cooler. So we made some top tabs and some lower bungs and mounted one.

Cam Bush Fitting and Crank Balancing

Finally got around to balancing the crank for my TR6R, used a knife edge balance and counter weights at an 85% balance factor.

Nothing says fun like attacking a major engine component with an air drill...
I also went a head and sized and reamed my cam bushes.

Just a couple more crossbones pictures

Just a couple more pictures of the "finished" product.

Although we have a couple cool ideas for the air cleaner cover...

Crossbones Update

After getting the aftermarket seat fitted properly and the fender in place the owner and the shop pretty much unanimously agreed that the struts that came with the kit needed to go. So we got to work on bending up some struts out of round stock, cutting some bungs and welding tabs to the swing arm. Here's what we ended up with, some nice subtle curves that blend in with the rest of the bike.
After getting the struts mounted up and in place we pretty quickly realized that the stock finish on the primary outer cover, derby cover, cam cover, transmission cover and rocker boxes had to be changed in some way (it was spotting like crazy). What we ended up doing was taking the covers off of everything and doing a little bead blasting/polishing/wet sanding to get the finish that's on it now.